- Last Updated on Wednesday, 26 October 2016 13:19
Fifth Grade Strings Curriculum Objectives
Music Skill Development (National Standards #1, 2, 3, 4, 5) Student develops musical skills through gradual mastery of concepts based on the elements of music: Rhythms, melody, harmony, timbre, form, expression, performance technique and vocabulary.
- Student identifies names of notes in, above, & below the staff.
- Student reads rhythms including, eighth notes, quarter notes, half notes, whole notes, dotted half notes, & dotted quarter notes.
- Student plays music in 4/4, 3/4, 2/4, and 6/8 time.
- Student varies tone color, dynamics and articulations using right hand technique.
- Student performs one-octave major scales and arpeggios in C, G, and D major.
- Student learns at least one tune aurally without using notation.
- Student tunes instrument using fine tuners.
- Student develops awareness of intonation.
- Student responds to conductor’s gestures at an intermediate level.
Reflections and Critique (National Standards #6, 7) Through reflection and critique student learns self, group and peer assessment using specific vocabulary. Student also develops the ability to define and solve musical problems with insight, reason and technical proficiency.
- Student participates in verbal and written self-evaluation, individually and as an ensemble.
- Student participates in verbal and written critique of professional musicians.
- Student uses musical vocabulary to describe and analyze aural examples.
- Student discusses expressive qualities of repertoire.
Making Connections (National Standards #8, 9) Student discovers how music connects, shapes and reflects cultures and history.
- Student researches famous musicians, master composers, periods of musical history, and cultural context.
- Student participates in public performances.
Approach to Work (National Standards #4, 7) Student develops a sense of work, practice and performance habits both individually and collaboratively.
- Student practices independently and completes independent projects outside of class.
- Student treats teacher and classmates with respect.
- Student seeks help overcoming challenges & obstacles.
- Student makes earnest effort to participate fully and contribute to ensemble.
© 2015 Montpelier Public Schools